Re: An object-oriented network DBMS from relational DBMS point of view

From: Dmitry A. Kazakov <mailbox_at_dmitry-kazakov.de>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:45:42 +0100

On 13 Mar 2007 18:03:32 -0700, JOG wrote:

> Nonetheless, a question that I would like to ask is whether OO
> requires pointers - are they inseparably ingrained in to the whole
> methodology or could some hypothetical programming approach still be
> considered OO even if it did away with OIDs?

No, OO does not depend on referential objects. It needs types identity of polymorphic objects. This is often confused with references.

P.S. I guess that an equalizing of types and the classes of, should in the end require object's identity (pointers). But such systems are IMO flawed regardless to pointers. Anyway, they don't represent all OO.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov