Re: data storage for finite element applications

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Mar 2007 04:18:55 -0700

On Mar 13, 5:28 pm, "jma" <junkmailav..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am facing the following task: I want to benchmark different
> solutions for storing large amounts of finite element data from
> different simulations into one file that preferably resides in a local
> directory. One option of course is to stuff everything into one binary
> file. The other option is to use a DBMS. There is also a hybrid
> option, namely to store binary chunks into a DBMS, however, I guess in
> this case I do not take advantage of any relational data structures. I
> find it hard to figure out why most vendors use inhouse "database"
> systems instead of widely used commercial ones. Do I miss something?
> Any info, experience or redirection will be highly appreciated!!!
>
> jma

If you do not perceive or understand the advantage of using a relational inspired system as opposed to a file oriented approach, that just means you need to educate yourself in data management issues and theory.

I suggest you do some reading:

Introduction to database systems (CJ DATE)

Hope this helps... Received on Wed Mar 14 2007 - 06:18:55 CDT