Re: An object-oriented network DBMS from relational DBMS point of view

From: Sampo Syreeni <decoy_at_iki.fi>
Date: 12 Mar 2007 23:23:13 -0700

On Mar 11, 6:57 pm, "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a general tendency I have observed when people come
> across a new way of doing things that they try to map their old
> way of doing things on to the new way. That enables them to
> use techniques they already have under the new system.

Another, more productive reason would be to see what precisely each of the two systems has to contribute, and to use the mapping/analogy/ morphism to arrive at new perspectives on both. For me the prime insight from this sort of thing into OO has been that relational normal forms have a lot to say about refactoring, and vice versa, I had a hard time understanding polymorphism under the RM till I went through an OO mapping. Received on Tue Mar 13 2007 - 07:23:13 CET

Original text of this message