Re: Table/Attribute Modeling

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ocis.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 22:18:27 -0800

"Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>I was interviewing a guy today, and he had obviously
>been formally schooled in ERM. Every time I run in to

      ^^^^^^^^             ^^^
     <caff, caff!>

>that I feel vaguely left out. I don't have a methodology
>with a cool name that I use. How am I supposed to
>impress the babes and wow my boss without an
>important name for what I do? Waaah!
>
>Driving home, it hit me: I *do* have a methodology
>that I use for schema design; it just doesn't have
>a cool name. What I need is a cool name! So I
>tried to think of a name for the methodology I use
>for schema design; one that was important sounding,
>so it would impress people, and yet also descriptive
>of what it is I actually do. I then it came to me:

     If the two are not mutually exclusive, they are rather close.

> "Table/Attribute Modeling."

     "Relation-Attribute Modeling"? When you have a problem, RAM it.

>I do T/AM. What crappy methodology do you use?
>Oh, that's so 1990s. I pity you.

     You are so last millennium. <waving fingers dismissively>

>You see, with Table/Attribute Modeling, I analyze
>application requirements to generate a set of
>necessary tables, and a set of attributes for each
>table. Then I'm able to convert these sets into
>actual executable SQL DDL, using a proprietary
>algorithm that I made up just now. You probably
>couldn't understand it. And voila! There's my schema.
>
>I do it this way because I'm so awesome.

     That should be the other way around, no?

>Marshall
>
>PS. In high school biology, we had an assignment
>once to come up with a mnemonic for the hierarchy
>"Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species."
>A friend of mine did the assignment roughly as follows:
>
>"Whenever I have to recall the classification hierarchy,
>I am able to do so by remembering these simple words:
>Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species."

     <snicker>

     My mother says, "Really, you should study."

     What? You do not think that the last letters are important?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:

     I have preferences.