Re: Navigation question

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 01:06:00 GMT

Walt wrote:

> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>

>>Actually, I would say that Tony D gave the definitive answer on February
>>16 at 1:52pm.

> In Google groups, I found an answer from Tony D at 12:52 PM. I assume
> that's the one.
>
> Here's an excerpt:
>
> <quote>
> Probably because you *can't* "navigate" around an SQL database in the
> way you would navigate in a car. There are no predetermined routes
> that you must follow; you can join tables using whichever columns you
> like, and leave the DBMS to worry about how it will be done. If you
> really must persist with a car driving metaphor, consider the DBMS as
> your taxi driver and the query optimizer his GPS. You ask him to take
> you to the store, but you don't sit behind him telling him when to
> take a left.
> <end quote>
>
> Dawn, this probably is the definitive answer. You need to understand this
> response,
> and demonstrate an understanding, before I'm going to invest any more time
> in trying to discuss this with you.

I would choose the following excerpt instead:

<quote>
You are issuing multiple independent queries with (hopefully) increasingly defined parameters. There is no connection between them, other than some shared parameters. Even in an SQL DBMS, you *cannot* "navigate" around tables.
</quote> Received on Sat Mar 03 2007 - 02:06:00 CET

Original text of this message