Re: Catalog Concepts and Types for Business Application Development

From: jlowery <jslowery_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Feb 2007 17:56:50 -0800

> If you read the edition you bought back in the day, it is probably out
> of date. Does it include a section on the third manifesto? Does it cover
> Date's and Darwen's work on Tutorial D?

It's the seventh edition from 2000 a believe, so that puts it at least 7 years old (not way back in the day). There is very little explicit information about the third manifesto, except for a bibliography reference. I did scour the wikipedia paper link on TTM a few weeks ago and noticed a good deal of overlapping material from TTM sprinkled across the book.

The book does use Tutorial D for many examples, and then provides sections showing what subset SQL supports. My simplistic approach is a rather explicit one compared to a D-like interface which requires a lot of implicit functionality like type inference.

I'll have to objectively think about things once I stop sipping the koolaid, maybe write a paper or two.

> From Marshall's recent post _Another TTM-inspired effort_, I grabbed
> this url for a python-based implementation of a D:http://www.quicksort.co.uk/

I did find this browsing around. I really enjoy people doing projects like this, even if they come across as weekend boredom killers. Hell, I've written a few. Received on Tue Feb 27 2007 - 02:56:50 CET

Original text of this message