Re: Constraints and Functional Dependencies

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:31:45 GMT

Marshall wrote:
> The problem that primes solve is a fundamental one, though.
> There are other ways to solve it, but the problem itself derives
> directly from the system having named attributes and needing
> to refer to more than one instance of an attribute in a single
> constraint. Once you have both of those, you cannot escape
> needing to have multiple names for the same thing.

Multiple names have always been hard for me to deal with, there could be several reasons but I'd say for me the reasons are psychological which makes them a practical problem in my case. Apart from attributes, using one name for several relations has been even harder, ie., mutable variables. Not sure, but the first time I saw prime notation might have been in grade school when we were introduced to algebra. I still want to write programs that way.

p Received on Mon Feb 26 2007 - 15:31:45 CET

Original text of this message