Re: OT (sets and stuff)

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2007 19:13:06 -0800

On Feb 5, 5:29 pm, mAsterdam <mAster..._at_vrijdag.org> wrote:

> I was - I really was - flabbergasted when Marshall took your
> 'empirical' glove and linked to a wikipedia article.
> There is IMO no such thing as empirical evidence for the existence of
> sets. They are an axiomatic construct.

Well, that was the irony. If one reads the wikipedia article, (and one was capable of taking in information via reading) then one would realize that axioms are not subject to empiricism, and that the question was misguided in the first place. Hence it was a legitimate answer to the question. The irony was calling it an "empirical" answer.

Do two parallel lines ever meet? Perhaps we can find out the right answer by looking at the natural world. All we have to do is locate two parallel lines. I'd suggest using Google Earth, and starting in New Jersey.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=two+parallel+lines

"We've secretly replaced this math grad student's copy of Euclid's Fifth Postulate with Folger's crystals. Let's see if he notices."

Marshall Received on Tue Feb 06 2007 - 04:13:06 CET

Original text of this message