Re: String Processing Challenge

From: David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: 5 Feb 2007 03:31:33 -0800

On Feb 5, 6:40 pm, "Roy Hann" <specia..._at_processed.almost.meat> wrote:
> "David BL" <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote in message

> > In the recent thread "Objects and relations" Marshall and I had an
> > interesting discussion about whether RM/RA is suitable for string
> > processing. I feel that the examples we used for comparison were
> > overly simple. For my own part I'm still left wondering how RM can be
> > easily applied in more complex problems.
>
> I missed that discussion but maybe I am not the only one wondering what the
> point of this challenge is. Without that background I feel like I'm being
> invited to show how lenses can be used to manipulate smells.
>
> Roy

I agree.

In that thread I claimed that RM is only suitable for stating facts about entities that are outside the abstract computational machine, whereas OO is only suitable for implementing objects representing entities that are inside the abstract computational machine. In particular I claimed that RM is inappropriate for string modelling and processing. This met with some resistance. Received on Mon Feb 05 2007 - 12:31:33 CET

Original text of this message