Re: Is {{}} a valid construct?

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 Feb 2007 21:35:09 -0800

On Feb 4, 12:24 pm, "Neo" <neo55..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> My wife went to the grocery store just before the Super Bowl Party.
> Upon returning, I asked her if she bought something for the party. She
> said, she got nothing. So I took nothing out of the car's trunk and
> put nothing in the fridge. Later, I barbequed nothing on the grill.
> When the guest arrived, I served them nothing. Everyone had lots of
> nothing and they even said their stomach's were full of nothing, so I
> couldn't undetstand why they complained of being hungry :)

"However, my wife does not understand this necessary limitation of the conversion of a proposition. Consequently, she does not understand me. For how can a woman expect to appreciate a professor of logic if the simplest cloth-eared syllogism causes her to flounder.

"For example: given the premise, 'All fish live underwater' and 'All mackerel are fish', my wife will conclude, not that 'All mackerel live underwater', but that 'If she buys kippers it will not rain' or that 'Trout live in trees' or even that 'I do not love her any more.'

http://pressurecooker.phil.cmu.edu/logic.html

Marshall

PS. Congrats on getting married. Received on Mon Feb 05 2007 - 06:35:09 CET

Original text of this message