Re: The term "theory" as in "database theory"

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:15:35 GMT

JOG wrote:

> I just don't see the point of this thread yet Dawn. Obviously there is
> an agenda there, so If we can clarify what it is, perhaps it can be
> discussed? Why not put those cards on the table - are you intending to
> say:
>
> 1) MV representations are preferable to RM because MV appeals to
> occams razor.
> 2) RM appeals to occam's razor, indicating that in your opinion as a
> set based MV-crusader, occam's razor is wrong in this case
> 3) Others who have said RM as "a theory as a whole" (I have never seen
> such a quote but there you go) appeals to occam's razor are
> misapplying it.
>
> I have said several times now that in the case of databases a much
> apter "a theory should be as simple as possible, but not one bit
> simpler" so be sure to mention that in your blog post that all this is
> clearly leading up to ;) FWIW one can nevertheless still employ
> occam's razor to suggest, for example, why one should address by value
> and not by an OID. And remember that in the end Occam's Razor is only
> a guiding heuristic. Jim.

Jim, Dawn's purpose is to cause confusion to advance her own self-interest at the expense of others--particularly at the expense of the uneducated. The evidence is now overwhelming regarding her motivation. No other explanation even comes close to explaining her behaviour, and this hypothesis has a strong track record of accurate predictive value.

Her posts are nothing more than empty rhetoric.

Consider: She attacks our vocabulary to try to twist our words into something different. She attacks the fundament of empiricism and the scientific method, and Ockham is part of that fundament. Ockham draws a sharp dividing line between what is science and what is religion. Her devotion to Pick (and MV) is religious.

Dawn asks us to abandon intellectual honesty for denial. Please, stop denying her nature and her motives. The sooner you accept her for what she is, the sooner we can all ignore this pernicious troll. Received on Tue Jan 30 2007 - 14:15:35 CET

Original text of this message