Re: The term "theory" as in "database theory"

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ocis.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 18:00:02 -0800

Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:

[snip]

>> If you want to exclude the "wild-assed guess" then you pretty much have
>> to exclude Occam's razor too, because that's all it is. Occam's razor
>> has never offered proof of anything, it's a socially acceptable way of
>> introducing an unsupportable hypothesis.

     It is not meant to prove anything. Putting it simply, Occam's Razor is a reminder to keep it simple.

>If you say so. Should we toss out the remainder of the scientific method
>while we are at it? Or should we just file everything under solipsism?

                               ^^
     "we"?  There is only me.  That is what solipsism is all about.
Why do I have to tell you about this? <BEG>

From My Sig Collection:

"The fundamental problem with Solipsism is it makes me responsible for the fact that you're a complete idiot."

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:

     I have preferences.