Re: The term "theory" as in "database theory"

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 27 Jan 2007 12:02:48 -0800

On Jan 27, 4:59 pm, "dawn" <dawnwolth..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 27, 8:11 am, "JOG" <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > Dawn wrote:
> > > JOG wrote
> > > OK, it sounds like database theory is a profession that might want to
> > > have no users or at least users with no requirements, right? ;-) IMore baiting. The 'harlequin' syndrome?
>
> > > could use some of those myself. There is that joke about the librarian
> > > who said that it was a wonderful day for the library because there were
> > > only two books checked out and they were both due today. Maybe we
> > > could write a similar joke about a database theorist? Just wondering
> > > if I'm getting the picture.It doesn't look like you are. I would like to see posts from you
> > without any agenda, or baiting, or getting drawn into business
> > anecdotes. Should I not be holding my breath?
> Dag nab it, mAsterdam -- I swear I posted this question in an attempt
> to start with the basics and not bring any opinions in until I was at
> the point of dialog with others.

Think you've misdirected this Dag Nab it.

> I didn't include any opinion in the
> OP at all, and agreed with many of the opinions of others on what I
> thought "theory" meant as in "database theory" -- but not until I
> heard the responses did I voice my own opinion. What would have been
> a more rigorous way to address this? I'm starting with the very
> basics of trying to understand the term "database theory."

Forget that. Take Marshalls advice of an approach that builds a proper framework and compares queries.

> Of course I have an "agenda" if that relates to whether I have any
> purpose in asking questions and learning about any particular
> subject. I don't brush my teeth without an agenda, but the term
> "agenda" is just negative spin for "purpose."

No need to put quote marks around "agenda", its a common enough word. Nevertheless I'd say an agenda is when one is trying to sell a model (bordering on religiously), where a purpose would be to simply expand ones knowledge. Different kettle of fish altogether. I imagine many would /suspect/ that you are attempting to bend definition to fit your current lack of theoretical foundations for the ol' list-based MV crusade.