Re: Data modeling for a multi-company product

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2007 10:54:50 -0800

> While I see no need for exceptions in an initial design, there
> could be exceptions when refactoring the database schema as changes are
> needed. I have not been in such a position, but understand from others
> that it is difficult to manage a SQL-DBMS schema over time without
> introducing nullable attributes.

If ones hasn't lived thru refactoring of db schemas and related applications, then one is missing some critical experiences related to dbs. This is where systematic approaches begin to express their advantages. Much experience in this area is what drove me to a method of representing things that is NULL-less and least impacted by meeting new data requirements. It turns out that methodology is based, not on RM, but directly on sets or what I call thingyz :) Received on Thu Jan 25 2007 - 19:54:50 CET

Original text of this message