Re: Temporal database - no end date

From: David <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: 23 Jan 2007 18:05:58 -0800

On Jan 24, 3:29 am, "NENASHI, Tegiri" <tnmai..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> One can not model the continuum with the floating numbers because they
> are discrete and finite like the computer integers.

Evidently you require models to be isomorphic to what they model. I presume you would say an C++ "int" doesn't model an integer, or a computer doesn't model a universal Turing machine. I have a far less restrictive notion of the word "model".

How would you describe the relationship between floating point numbers and the reals? Pretends? Imitates? Masquerades? We need some word. Received on Wed Jan 24 2007 - 03:05:58 CET

Original text of this message