Re: Interpretation of Relations

From: vc <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Jan 2007 15:10:18 -0800

On Jan 23, 4:31 pm, Joe Thurbon <use..._at_thurbon.com> wrote:

> > What's your definition of a "valid implication" ?Sorry, I should have said 'valid inferences'. Or perhaps 'what is the
> proof theory of the relational calculus'.

Clearly, you can use the same proof systems, Hilbert style/natural deduction/etc, as for FOL. Also, you may want to read about Prolog/Datalog approach to deductive databases. For example, see "Foundations of Databases" by Serge Abiteboul and others for connections between FOL, database constraints, Datalog, and lots of other stuff. It's a more theoretical and solid book than the usual crop like "Learn SQL in 60 minutes". Received on Wed Jan 24 2007 - 00:10:18 CET

Original text of this message