Re: Interpretation of Relations

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:32:42 GMT

Joe Thurbon wrote:
> ... I am
> finding it difficult to get access to the seminal works, and as a result
> I'm trying to piece together a coherent picture. Between yourself and
> JOG, I've at least got an idea of what to read next. (I've moved away
> from the city, so I only get access to a reasonable library about every
> 3 months. I've got a reading list, though).

Since I get more from this group than I give, the least I can do is send you or anybody else who's interested, the "legal" pdf's I have somewhere. Without checking, I think they include Codd's 1969, 1970, 1972 and 1979 papers, a few by Fagin on fd's/mvd's and possibly the one by Ullman et al about closure (pretty heavy going for me).

Too bad I can't send the dbdebunk papers, that would be cheating since they were individual purchases. Still, although dbdebunk hasn't been updated since the spring, all the message archives since inception were still there the last I looked.

I think there are some archived columns by Date at the dbms programming and design former magazine site, now called Enterprise something or other where he gives some retrospectives on Codd's ideas.

(for private email, reverse the letters in the two parts of the domain name.) Received on Tue Jan 23 2007 - 15:32:42 CET

Original text of this message