Re: Nulls, integrity, the closed world assumption and events

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 22 Jan 2007 08:06:33 -0800

dawn wrote:
> [snip]
> I have mentioned before, but perhaps not recently, that other than
> performance issues, I have little interest in what happens under the
> covers, outside of the interfaces between humans, clients and the DBMS.
> So, if it is best to put data in 1NF behind the scenes, so be it. I
> am not convinced that is best, but nor is it a question that concerns
> me.

If it eliminates query bias and allows more powerful manipulation of propositions then it is a benefit. If it doesn't affect your particular practices then no problem - but better to have that capability there for those who do use it (and hell do I want to use it).

Look, a 'proposition' can have multiple values for the same predicate role (but when they are these are conjunctions - and I find this much more appealing than a fudging some set based value artifice to represent it). Its just that base relations have more _manipulative power_ with single values. But importantly this does not preclude having an interface that suits you in terms of a virtual relation (and that a coder doesn't have to generate every single time via an OR mapper). So as I said bath-water and babies - I am adamant that you do not need to throw out anything to get the interface you want.