Re: Temporal database - no end date

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Jan 2007 11:59:56 -0800

On Jan 21, 11:44 am, paul c <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote:

> I remember another system that only cared about days, not times.
> Arithmetic was done on not on dates, but on an arbitrary difference
> between dates.

Another example of a discrete-unit-of-time model in heavy production use that works:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/Date.html

Stores time as signed 64 bit milliseconds since Jan. 1, 1970, allowing it to represent dates and times within half a billion years of now to millisecond precision. Obviouly not sufficient for *every* application, just *almost* every one.

Marshall Received on Sun Jan 21 2007 - 20:59:56 CET

Original text of this message