Re: Temporal database - no end date

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 00:22:23 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:

> Paul C, why did you make me read anything so fatuous?
>
> "Doctor! Doctor! It hurts when I do this!" ... so the moron shouldn't
> apply ceil either... um, HELLO!

I don't claim to know how to edit, especially when it comes to my own stuff. But there are some smart people here who manage to see the problems I tilt at, even when I don't put them right!

Also don't know how to "properly" use a newsreader, all the modern features and so forth, but I don't care about that. I just look at the familiar handles and pick the ones first that I have learned from before. Sometimes that means I see snips among Celko quotes which usually seem far out in left field, so I hunt down the thread to see the original. It seems that every time, the original post is just as disjointed and scatter-brained as the quotes that have the snips in between them!

By the way, while this is my favourite group (practically the only one too) even though my db theory knowledge is not much higher than infantile, I would rank myself about average or maybe a little lower, ie., about half the time I can identify the db theme that roughly three-quarters of the posts are investigating. I notice that when it comes to the other quarter or so, the people who claim to understand are usually the same ones who contribute the posts in that quarter. This encourages me to think that it is advantageous to ignore that quarter so as to improve my average among the rest, a strategy I gather you would agree with.

Whether this is important, I don't know, but it seems to echo something similar in the general society these days that has nothing to do with db theory nor computers. I know some student mechanics who, to pass their course, must tear down a number of motorcycles and then get them running. They are most upset when they are given bikes that won't start in the first place. How they will get a real job with that attitude I don't know. There must have been a Monty Python skit where the doctor will treat only patients who aren't sick. If not, there should have been.

Come to think of it, this post should go into the one-quarter bin. How's that for fatuous?

p Received on Sun Jan 21 2007 - 01:22:23 CET

Original text of this message