Re: Temporal database - no end date

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:53:20 GMT

DBMS_Plumber wrote:
> paul c wrote:
>

>>Well, I doubt if any persistent db system can model time thoroughly
>>since it will itself be subject to time.  Analogies about number
>>representations are just red herrings.  All a physical system can do is
>>mimic some aspect of time in a way that is useful to some purpose.  I
>>gather that the book that uses "quanta" gave a respectable
>>implementation theory for doing this.  If somebody doesn't like that but
>>can't say why very clearly, that's life, not Bob B's fault.

> Replacing 'time' with 'what the application does' and 'quanta' with
> 'disk files throughout the above paragraph, and we get:
>
> "Well, I doubt if any persistent db system can model what the
> application does thoroughly since it will itself be subject to what the
> application does. Analogies about number representations are just red
> herrings. All a physical system can do is mimic some aspect of what
> the application does in a way that is useful to some purpose. I
> gather that the book that uses "disk files" gave a respectable
> implementation theory for doing this. If somebody doesn't like that
> but can't say why very clearly, that's life, not Bob B's fault."

That is one of the techniques Dawn and Celko are fond of, substituting an arbitrary phrase in a post's text and then saying the new text is absurd. They twist in the wind and can never get it through their heads that a computer system can never be what a reasonable man in the street would call a fair copy of all the aspects of the actuality, just a very partial abstraction . The same is also endemic among the hackers of the world, thinking that a logical framework that is based on concept x will work just fine when they substitute concept y. Another thing they like to do is loudly deny that Date and company follow the only true path, when Date and Co themselves have never claimed so! I believe the latter are quite receptive to any approach that is sound and coherent.

By the way, if those two mystics had any decency at all, they would self-admit themselves to the Asylum for Care and Protection of Pathological Hackers. I believe it can be found at the bottom of the precipice they like to jump from, roof covered with broken bodies, while Date and et al stand at the top, afraid to jump but with bones intact. I'm sure their patient files would become landmarks in the psychiatric journals and they could achieve the fame they seem to want, as in "any publicity is good publicity".

p Received on Sun Jan 21 2007 - 00:53:20 CET

Original text of this message