Re: Temporal database - no end date

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 20:08:42 GMT

DBMS_Plumber wrote:
> Bob Badour wrote:
>

>>Frankly, you did no such thing. You proved that applying the floor
>>operation to the result of an arithmetic mean yields the wrong answer.

> Would you prefer the ceil() operation? Either way - wrong answer.
>

>>Plonk.

> Bob B sure can dish it.
>
> But he can't take it.

Geez, here we go once again. The mentality that thinks submarines can be taught to swim won't go away. Of course, some of us find it advantageoous to oversell what a computer can do.

Early on, there was the comment that:

"Models of time that divide the continium into discrete units, and then force all intervals, aggregations and the results of any operation into that model, just don't work."

There were other comments that suggested the other eternal confusion about logical versus physical/implementation.

Well, I doubt if any persistent db system can model time thoroughly since it will itself be subject to time. Analogies about number representations are just red herrings. All a physical system can do is mimic some aspect of time in a way that is useful to some purpose. I gather that the book that uses "quanta" gave a respectable implementation theory for doing this. If somebody doesn't like that but can't say why very clearly, that's life, not Bob B's fault.

p Received on Sat Jan 20 2007 - 21:08:42 CET

Original text of this message