Re: Temporal database - no end date

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 18 Jan 2007 18:21:02 -0800

>>I don't see any reason against intervals of discrete values, even ids. <<

No, they are not intervals -- those are **sets** of discrete values. There ain't no such guy as student #<pi>, but there is a <pi> seconds after the hour --even if you did not see him because your clock only showed 3.14 and 3.15 seconds

>> I can also imagine the university handing out student registration forms in ten groups."If your student id starts with 0, line up over here..." <<

Go to a JC Penney store; they use the last two digits of your phone number as a hash at the delivery window. Hashing ain't the same idea as a data type. If nobody has a phone number with 56 in it, the laws of the Universe will not create a customer from the vile dust (note to JCP clean up crew: sweep up the vile dust around the delivery area) Received on Fri Jan 19 2007 - 03:21:02 CET

Original text of this message