Re: RA with MV attributes

From: David <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: 17 Jan 2007 05:39:13 -0800

Jon Heggland wrote:
> David wrote:
> > Jon Heggland wrote:

> >> So what exactly does that last tuple mean?
> >
> > It would appear that this tuple only states that John and Fred exist
> > and the colour Green exists. This information is redundant with
> > respect to the other tuples.
>
> "It would appear"? You are guessing?

No, but I'm a little cautious!

> Anyway, I assume the other tuples /do/ state more, i.e. "bill car2
> green" does not merely state that Bill exists, Car2 exists and Green
> exists? (I'll refrain from asking what exactly the meaning of this
> "exists" business is.) So the tuples have different kinds of meaning?

No, there is an underlying consistency. The role of the Colour attribute is understood to be relevant to the cars in the tuple. This role is implicit in the r2 relation and remains the case after the join. The attribute could have instead been named "CarColour". There is an implicit universal quantification here. ie

    for all cars in tuple, car is green

Since there are no cars, the tuple is vacuous.

This reminds me of true statements like

     for all elephants on the Moon, elephant wears pink panties