Re: Ideas for World Hierarchy Example

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2007 21:50:44 -0800

> > librarians built theirs 200 years ago, and it has been largely unchanged
> > since Mr Dewey used Mr Aristotle's classification methods to create it.
> > Can we do better in the 21st century?

According to Wiki: the system can be neatly summarized in 10 main classes, 100 divisions and 1000 sections. DDC's cleverness is in choosing decimals for its categories; this allows it to be both purely numerical and infinitely hierarchical.

After reading the above description, you are correct, we could do better. But who is going to change all the book labels :) Received on Mon Jan 15 2007 - 06:50:44 CET

Original text of this message