Re: Ideas for World Hierarchy Example

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Jan 2007 13:55:07 -0800

> It is easier to implement n:m relationships between "entities" using the data
> modeling approaches for non-1NF dbms's than for 1NF, right?

My 2X, electric can opener is in hand, so why not. Suppose ball1 has three colors: red, blue, green.

RMDB Solution #1
toy colors
ball1 red, blue, green

RMDB Solution #2

toy     color1 color2 color3
ball1   red     blue    green

RMDB Solution #3 (do you like my pointy notation?)

->ball1   ->red
->ball1   ->blue
->ball1   ->green

RM purists usually go for third gear with two extra tables to boot.

Is MV similar to RMDB's solution #1 (not sure). And some type of separator allows multiple values and its SQL-equivalent manages with it. Both solve the same problem in slightly different ways. BOTH SOLUTIONS ARE slightly FLAWED (in terms of redundancy/systematicness), so I can't grasp why all the ruckus in cdt over this iddy biddy issue ???

> But I have worked with both [RMDBs and non] and there is a decided
> difference, where I know what the clear favorite is for me, even if you
> have a different preference.

Could this qualify as empirical evidence :) Received on Fri Jan 12 2007 - 22:55:07 CET

Original text of this message