Re: Nulls, integrity, the closed world assumption and events

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 10 Jan 2007 06:24:59 -0800

I too have been forced to filter some of the content of this newsgroup because of some posters' spam, so I can sympathize with his standpoint. I also believe being able to defend your ideas in the face of rigorous (and agressive) cross examination is one of the most valuable things about this group. It forces one to refine one's ideas and allows no room /whatsoever/ for sloppy thinking, and for me that has been an absolutely invaluable aid in improving my knowledge as quickly as possible.

When I first arrived here some of my opinions were naive to say the least and receiving short shrift was a bit of a shock, but with a thick skin and a willingness to accept there are more experienced people here, /hopefully/ my posts are now of more value.

Imo if occasionally one is misunderstood and it takes a post to provide clarification, or to indicate there was actually agreement, then that is only a small hassle compared to the benefits the discussion can offer as a whole.