Re: Domains, types, and application engineering ....

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 23:39:22 GMT

DBMS_Plumber wrote:
> The function of the DBMS is to take this implementation and to present
> you with a body of relational machinery that can be used to organize
> and reason about instances of this domain, according to the behavior
> you've defined for it.

Couldn't agree more. Underlines that most domains don't spring from the rm, even though there seem to be lots of people who believe they can create one in sql.

Regarding the comment about standards being useful, I'd say they are sometimes, somewhat useful, sort of like rough arc welding versus really precise tig welding (you didn't mention which kind you had in mind). I do think there are instructive comparisons with a machine shop where physical facts force certain techniques. When it comes to software, it amazes me how dogmatic some people, like the standards worshippers, can be when the sky's the limit.

p Received on Wed Jan 10 2007 - 00:39:22 CET

Original text of this message