Re: Curious SQL question

From: Lennart <Erik.Lennart.Jonsson_at_gmail.com>
Date: 6 Jan 2007 12:08:12 -0800

Marshall wrote:
> On Jan 6, 9:47 am, "Lennart" <Erik.Lennart.Jons..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> > For the record, I don't understand the purpose of giving well defined
> > operations new names, that at best will be confusing in its new
> > context.
>
> For me, the relationship between the boolean operations in set builder
> notation, as above, and the associated relational operations
> has been key in building an understanding of those relational
> operators.
> So much so that I now write natural join as "&" and inner union as "|"
> in my personal notation.

I find it easier to keep track of what I was thinking at the time, if I separate the notation. Beside, I use pen and pencil for sketching, and lyx for whats worth saving, so it's not much extra work (IMO).

Anyhow, for a notation to be useful it needs some sort of agreement between participants. For my personal notes I find that step to be the least problem :-)

/Lennart Received on Sat Jan 06 2007 - 21:08:12 CET

Original text of this message