Re: How to find Brothers and Sisters?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:55:54 GMT

Lennart wrote:
> JOG wrote:
> [...]
>

>>Some root entry in 'persons' who has himself or one of
>>his successors as a father... erm.....hold on...
>>
>>(I think that Marshall once pointed out that the technical term for
>>this is Furturama-NF, where Fry is his own grandfather)

> Sorry for bumping in late. I don see how you can prevent this anomaly
> without a closure operator (disregarding triggers, and such). Do you
> have a reference to Marshall's post?
>

> /Lennart

I'll say sorry for the same thing, and also that I think you may be hinting at a much more challenging problem than brothers and sisters (at least it is for me): given a bunch of parents and offspring, who may not have names (Bob B's use of artificial identifiers is exactly right when one is looking at genealogy - we all have a great-grandfather, but often don't know his name, eg., if he wasn't married to the great-grandmother), find all the cousin pairs. Not just that, but find who is second cousin, once removed, to who.

(note - according to wikipedia, uncle is just a familiar term for a cousin!)

Although I don't spend much time on family trees, it really gets on my nerves how people who do rely on hierarchical systems, eg., after they enter a person into their system, the system can't tell them that stuff unless they have already enumerated it all. Maybe I'm being unfair to those systems; if so I'll shut up about the topic if somebody corrects my impression.

p Received on Sun Dec 31 2006 - 03:55:54 CET

Original text of this message