Re: Hierarchal vs Non-Hierarchal Interfaces to Biological Taxonomy

From: Larry Coon <lmcoon_nospam_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:16:33 -0800

Neo wrote:

> What is the main difference between the two?

Linnean is morphological. Caldistic follows evolutionary lines. Species that co-evolved morphologically similar features can be close in the Linnean taxonomy but distant in the clastistic; and vice-versa.

> Thanks, I had breifly visited this site earlier, but dismissed it as
> the trees diagrams are graphical instead of textual, thus preventing me
> from easily gathering the data

Yeah, that's why I said to "start looking" there. I don't know of any db-friendly data available, but I guessed that by following links, you should be able to find one eventually.

> But if this the definitive site on bio
> taxonomy, I could go ahead and type in the major ones.

Looks like you found another site that better suited your needs?

Larry Coon
University of California Received on Sat Dec 16 2006 - 20:16:33 CET

Original text of this message