Re: Concurrency in an RDB

From: Sampo Syreeni <decoy_at_iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:51:45 +0200

On 2006-12-15, David wrote:

> For example, an insertion into a text document can only have the
> insertion position adjusted by OT. The insertion itself is not
> disabled under inclusion transform.

Really? Then I must be reading the dOPT paper wrong. It was my impression that if two sites simultaneously try to insert the same character into the same position, they are arbitrated and the loser is annulled. Of course that's just one example of how you can arrange an OT protocol, so not all such protocols necessarily need to annul anything, but that's still the only solution I've seen fleshed out.

> For example, it is useful to allow branching and merging of source
> code by developers working on the same software project, but not with
> aeroplane seat reservations.

This is rather a heavy restriction, if OT really has it.

--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy_at_iki.fi, tel:+358-50-5756111