Re: Concurrency in an RDB

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 14:30:43 GMT

monarodan_at_gmail.com wrote:

> To all those stating that David should do some background reading - did
> you bother to look into Operational Transform (OT) as mentioned by
> David? There is potentially a whole new way of thinking about databases
> and distributed systems that should not be ignored.

What's new about it? I saw nothing novel in his suggestion.

> Given David's area of research, perhaps his views are indeed valid and
> rather than being completely dismissive, this community should
> investigate what impact OT may have on DBMS implementations. I've
> heard no innovative comments here other that those made by David trying
> to link OT to distributed computing using a functional programming
> model. I would tend to agree with many of Davids comments that
> mutative operations are short-lived if (and only if) you are mutating
> "free" data.

Mutative operations perhaps but we are discussing transactions. Transactions comprise multiple mutative operations that must complete as if atomic or must not happen at all. In a distributed system, a transaction may alter state in different distributed components and still exhibit apparent atomiticity.

I suggest to you what I suggested to David: open any book on transactions and catch a clue about the prior work.

[snip] Received on Tue Dec 12 2006 - 15:30:43 CET

Original text of this message