Re: vehicle to autoparts relationships

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 00:38:00 GMT

-CELKO- wrote:

>>> I don't agree that all sectios of the automobile are parts and more than the vehicle itself is a part. Perhaps in real life, the consumer will but a 2000 Ford Escort, and later may purchase a head gasket for it, so to that customer each one is simply a part# on his invoice. <<

> On the legal side your car IS the engine block with its VIN.
> Everything else is a part added to it.

Maybe you're right, but I thought there were two numbers for vehicles, in North America anyway, and the number on the block is not the VIN. I know that motorcycles always have two numbers, a frame number which is treated, legally, as a VIN and used for registration purposes, but there is also an engine number. I know first-hand that both are checked at the border by the US Export Control people and if you can't show title, they won't let it out of the country (even if it is the many-years-old, cheap stuff I buy!).

Just curious, does anybody else know?

p Received on Sat Dec 09 2006 - 01:38:00 CET

Original text of this message