Re: A new approach to storing ordered hierarchical data in RDBs.

From: Aloha Kakuikanu <aloha.kakuikanu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Nov 2006 16:46:54 -0800

paul c wrote:
> Lennart wrote:
> > Aloha Kakuikanu wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> >>Please make sure you use terms correctly. What you have meant by
> >>"lineage" is "transitive closure". This article
> >>http://www.sqlteam.com/item.asp?ItemID=8866
> >>uses the term "lineage" in the sense of "materialized path".
> >

> > I especially liked the phrase "Don't worry about the loop" :-)
> >
> > /Lennart
> >

> I especially laughed at the phrase "XML handles hierarchical ... quite
> well". How the dickens does XML per se calculate transitive closure or
> depth from an adjency list or an adjaceny list from a tree? It seems to
> me that XML by itself only allows adhoc solutions that are just as
> non-declarative as various SQL versions. For that matter, the original
> relational model seems to requires similar adhoc additions. I don't
> have a solution, but it seems to me that all three are lacking and it is
> irresponsible, ignorant and cavalier to use the adverb "well" regarding
> accomplishing closure with any of them.

Why everybody interpreted my message as if I endorsed this article? I didn't imply anything about its quality. (Although, as you may notice, there are quite many happy developers comments -- it requires very little to get a programmer excited, isn't it?-) Received on Wed Nov 22 2006 - 01:46:54 CET

Original text of this message