Re: A new approach to storing ordered hierarchical data in RDBs.

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 21 Nov 2006 13:35:53 -0800

Aloha Kakuikanu a écrit :

> goran wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I've discovered a new approach to storing ordered hierarchical data in
> > RDBs. As far as I know there is no similar model out there and it
> > differs significantly from traditional models (such as adjacency list,
> > materialized path or the nested sets approach). A brief article
> > describing the model (with accompanying sql code) can be found at
> > http://orangebeta.blogspot.com/2006/11/on-storing-ordered-hierarchies-in-sql.html
>
> Please make sure you use terms correctly. What you have meant by
> "lineage" is "transitive closure". This article
> http://www.sqlteam.com/item.asp?ItemID=8866
> uses the term "lineage" in the sense of "materialized path".
It is quite easy to state or believe that you discovered something that is nothing else than a direct implementation of the transrelational model. It is nothing but a separation between the data part and the link stated (lineage table is just the link info in TRM)...Check TRM for a smarter implementation of that *new* idea... Received on Tue Nov 21 2006 - 22:35:53 CET

Original text of this message