Re: anyone who know some good SQL interview questions?

From: Pickie <keith.johnson_at_datacom.co.nz>
Date: 8 Nov 2006 12:36:24 -0800

I had never heard of "aggregate string concatenation", so I googled for it. There were only 4 things and in the first I read the comment

<<This also appears to "work", but in fact is officially undocumented behavior and thus undefined because there can be no guarantee of the order of the rows processed.>>

I was left wondering if knowing something like this was, in fact, useful.

If you find some 'good questions' but don't have the knowledge to understand the answers, then you run the risk of getting a 'tick the box' result. The best advice? Get someone who really knows SQL to do a pre-interview technical assessment. Winnow out those who have the skills and then look for the more important things in the interview.

The worst thing is to try and bluff the interviewee that you know stuff you don't. You will drive away the people you most desperately need.

Just as an aside... I remember someone describing an interview where the requirement was for three years experience with a new Microsoft product. He took great glee in pointing out that the product had only been on the market for under a year. Since he was an ex-Marine I assumed he didn't do this terribly diplomatically. Although I might well be wrong there. Received on Wed Nov 08 2006 - 21:36:24 CET

Original text of this message