Re: SQL For Smarties 3rd Edition - ATTN Joe Celko

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_dbms.yuc>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:39:00 GMT

David Cressey wrote:
> "paul c" <toledobythesea_at_dbms.yuc> wrote in message
>

>> Your messages here don't carry any substance other than "here's a neat
>> trick in this product" or "Codd said such-and-such".  Why don't you go
>> away and start your own "comp.datases.practice" newsgroup.  There is
>> much left do in the area of theory and you are wasting a lot of people's
>> time here, even if many of them don't know it.

> If there were a comp.databases.practices newsgroup, I'd move over to it in a
> heartbeat.
>
> I don't really have much to contribute in the area of theory, myself. On
> the other hand, some of the practices I've gleaned over the years are worth
> passing on to others.

Not many of us do but that doesn't diminish the importance of learning the theory behind the practice, for one thing when the theory is incoherent or non-existent, we could view the practice with suspicion.

It doesn't take many (who understand the theory or are bright enough to expand it) for the rest of us to learn from.

By way of analogy, I was looking at some javascript the other day and noticed a very terse loan payment calculation. As I couldn't remember much of amortization theory I took a quick look at various web pages that calculate various loan values. It was clear from some of the elaborate coding in several of them that their authors didn't remember any theory either and those sites had paid much more for their web pages than they needed to.

p Received on Tue Oct 31 2006 - 15:39:00 CET

Original text of this message