Re: Proposal: 6NF

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 12:33:04 GMT

"Brian Selzer" <brian_at_selzer-software.com> wrote in message news:brYWg.13346$6S3.9621_at_newssvr25.news.prodigy.net...

> The domain of integers is a proper subset of the domain of reals. I think
> the concept is called "specialization by constraint." That means that
every
> integer is also a real number; therefore, {2, 4, 7} is identical to {2.0,
> 4.0, 7.0}. 2.0 and 2 are just possible representations of the same
number,
> which belongs not only to the set of all real numbers but also to the set
of
> all integers.

Interesting. If you are right (and why wouldn't you be) then this is a place where my computer background is misleading me when I try to think mathematically. Floating point numbers and integers, in the computers of the 1960s, were not arranged in such a way that the binary representation of floating point 2.0 and the binary representation of integer 2 would be the same.
There were one or two such computers, but they were uneconomical in practical terms.

So when some early FORTRAN computer was asked to compute equals (2.0, 2) it would detect the type mismatch and convert one of the inputs so that they are of the same type. So the unconcious legacy in my head doesn't help in this case.

I like the phrase "specialization by constraint". We periodically get would be database designers asking some variant of the gen-spec question. Usually, it's something along the line of wanting to represent "vehicles" and also specific types of vehicles such as "sedans", "SUVs", etc. The regulars in this newsgroup know what happens next. In any event, I'm wondering if the term "specialization by constraint" wouldn't be useful in helping newbies understand the gen-spec problem at the conceptual level, before understanding a table design that implements it.

Sorry for the digression. Received on Wed Oct 11 2006 - 14:33:04 CEST

Original text of this message