Re: approaches for embedding a data language in a general purpose language

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Oct 2006 08:15:17 -0700

On Oct 10, 5:03 am, "David Cressey" <dcres..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
> "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:1160406756.523915.48510_at_m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
>
> > The three main approaches I can think of are:
> > 1) a library that accepts text written in the language as string
> > parameters
> > ex.: JDBC, ODBC
>
> > 2) Code generation
> > ex.: Hibernate, any one of ~1000 O/R mappers
>
> > 3) Direct embedding using a preprocessor
> > ex.: SQL-J, embedded SQL (for C) etc.
>
> > I've used the first two extensively, but never the third one. I've got
> > the nagging suspicion that it's the one I would like the best. (Of
> > course
> > one must immediately suspect grass-is-greener syndrome here.)
>
> But I don't think embedded source necessitates record at a time thinking to
> the extent that you suggest.

Actually, it was my intent to say that code generation and ORM approaches push the programmer in the direction of record-at-a-time and that embedded data languages don't, or do so much less.

> Anyway, if you'd like to hear more of my ramblings on the subject,
> I'm ready.

Let's hear it! I'm all ears.

Marshall Received on Tue Oct 10 2006 - 17:15:17 CEST

Original text of this message