From: <pamelafluente_at_libero.it>
Date: 25 Sep 2006 07:05:31 -0700

David Cressey ha scritto:

> But "forget about normal forms" is, to me, nearly tantamount to saying
> "forget about database theory". And I don't choose to participate in a
> discussion held in comp.database.theory, where the underlying premise is
> that database theory is irrelevant.

I said that, but you are drawing an arbitrary conclusion.

As I explained more than once, a programmer point of view is to be able to deal with any design.
Even if not complies with NFs. In case, it might suggest the user how to correct the design ...
Actually we take more time to deal with all cases things can go wrong, instead of when things are done right.
The fact that I want to be able to deal with arbitrary design (in order to have a general program) does not imply (to me) that database theory is irrelevant. On the contrary, it may be a tool to "educate" users according to the theory ...

That's what I meant about my constant "presumption of ignorance" (as opposite as to a presumption of knowledge). It's the attitude that makes you not scared to try to deal with new situations, even if they are not well rooted and consolidated in your mind and there are no textbooks that can help you ...

-P Received on Mon Sep 25 2006 - 16:05:31 CEST

Original text of this message