Re: Real world issue: How to "split" queries in presence of record replication and replication sensitive aggregate functions ?

From: <pamelafluente_at_libero.it>
Date: 16 Sep 2006 13:00:53 -0700

Marshall ha scritto:
> When I say "as small as possible" I literally mean that the
> removal of even one table, or one column, or even just one
> row would not demonstrate the issue any more.

Here one small example I can think of.
The minimum number of table is probably 3 because: 1 table: it's impossible to duplicate values 2 tables in 1-N relationship: placing a function on the dimension table   would probably be too artificious an example

3 tables

ONE

TRANS

SUBTRANS Table: ONE
Name
David
Marshall

Table: TRANS

Name        Item  Fact
David	  IT2   1
Marshall      IT1   1
Marshall      IT1   1

Table: SUBTRANS
Item SubFact

IT1        1
IT2        1
IT2        1
IT2        1

Report:
       One.[Name] AS [Name],
       count(Trans.Fact) AS [FactCount],
       count(SubTrans.SubFact) AS [SubFactCount]

David has 1 fact and Marshall 2 facts.

"questionable" select:

SELECT

       One.[Name] AS [Name],
       count(Trans.Fact) AS [FactCount],
       count(SubTrans.SubFact) AS [SubFactCount]
FROM
       One,
       Trans,
       SubTrans
WHERE
       One.[Name] = Trans.[Name] AND
       Trans.Item = SubTrans.Item
GROUP BY
       One.[Name];

> The following is quite blunt, but it could help you a lot:
>
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

quite massive. I will be spending the night with it :) : may save some in future ...
Thanks

-P