Re: Terminology question

From: <pamelafluente_at_libero.it>
Date: 5 Sep 2006 07:06:32 -0700

> In some cases, the romance languages are quite precise in describing things.

Really? I got exactly the same feeling about English.

Actually for computer things, we borrow all terminology from USA. So original Italian terminology does not really exists and they are all translation from English. I use English for menu and labels.

 I guess I could simply say:

Connection or [Connection Info] to denote the object the user re-uses to open a connection to a database

"Connection & Query" to denote the object which stores the information to retrieve a bunch of data

Here "Query" is not very appropriate as it could make ususally think about some pure SQL, while instead the object has also the possibility to embed custom programs (written in any language, not only PL/SQL or TS/SQL) to perform transformations on the fly (that is while extracting data).

So a generical record (x1,...,xn) could be transformed into another record (y1,...,ym) of "derived variables". The transforming "function" (if we want to it so) is provided by the user through code and embedded into the object to which I am trying to give an "appropriate" name.

Perhaps I could say "Connection and ETL" but this sound pretentious and incorrect.

My "intuitive" idea was to imagine that object as a kind "logical" source of data, where here the word "logical" has nothing to do with the math meaning, but uses to contrast with "real" data (we use it in that fashon: don't know if it's the same in English). Perhaps s synonym could be "virtual". But "virtual" is also an abused word.

Hmmm it quite hard for me to get some English expression that would fit nicely these simple concept.

Probably I will just end up with "Connection & Query"

-P Received on Tue Sep 05 2006 - 16:06:32 CEST

Original text of this message