Re: Order details table reference live data

From: Johan Sjöström <daddynahoj_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Sep 2006 12:07:17 -0700

The majority of the users of the system knows about the design and doesn't change data that affects orders. That's why management hasn't ordered a redesign -- it's expensive, and the users don't complain that much...yet. But they're beginning to.

As I see it, one can either

  1. Accept that a complete overhaul must be made and rewrite the Order tables so that they contain raw (no reference) data copied from e.g. the Product table as it was at the time of the order, and then rewrite all order queries.

or

2) Something else. (Brainstorming appreciated). I'm having a hard time figuring out a good alternate solution. I guess there is none. ;)

Cheers
Johan