Re: Relation Schemata vs. Relation Variables

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 00:30:06 GMT

paul c wrote:

> Bob Badour wrote:

>>> Stupid me, I have to take part of that back - the value of a
>>> candidate key obviously could identify several tuples but I still
>>> think that would hold forever.  Might have been better to say the
>>> value of a candidate key identifies a tuple regardless of time.
>>
>> A candidate key does not identify a tuple. A candidate key is a
>> constraint on a relvar and not on a tuple.

> No argument about a candidate key being a constraint. I`m talking about
> the value of a candidate key. If you can infer the values of the other
> attributes from that value, I`d say you have achieved identification.

And one cannot infer anything from a subset of the attributes when one is talking about a tuple. The only thing that identifies a tuple is the tuple's value. Just as the only thing that identifies the number 5 is the number 5. Received on Fri Aug 25 2006 - 02:30:06 CEST

Original text of this message