Re: Resiliency To New Data Requirements

From: erk <eric.kaun_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Aug 2006 04:48:42 -0700

JOG wrote:
> [Boehm 1978] 'structuredness' used by in relation to programming.

Do you mean "Seven Basic Principles of Software Engineering?" Does his use of the word in this apply to data management?

> [Belkin et al. 1992] referred to "unstructured or semistructured
> data" for information retrieval

This is "Information Filtering and Information Retrieval: Two Sides of the Same Coin?"

> [Quass et al. 1995] referring to data with highly irregular schema.

Which paper? I find several from him in 1995.

> [Abiteboul 1997] cemented the terminology in "Querying
> semi-structured data"
> etc..

I'll read it.

BTW, in the 1979 Codd piece (pun intended), he seems to use the term "formatted" only in describing the database - and I think "formatted database" is redundant. I've read this paper, and will review, but I'd like to know your interpretation.

  • erk