Re: A real world example

From: <anithsen_at_gmail.com>
Date: 16 Aug 2006 12:15:11 -0700

"Brian Selzer" <brian_at_selzer-software.com> wrote in message news:XkJEg.10231$o27.1677_at_newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...

> "JOG" <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote in message
>> Bob Badour wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> By accepting his misuse of vocabulary, you encourage and legitimize the
>>> illegitimate while you interfere with communication and comprehension.
>>> Is it your goal to understand theory or to market the services of
>>> ignorants at the expense of their potential clients and other
>>> stakeholders?
>>
>> Of course not. All corrections are welcomed Bob.
>>
>>> [snip]
>>> I disagree that the concept of surrogate vs. natural is useful. A
>>> natural key is merely a familiar surrogate.
>>
>> By this I am unclear what a natural key is a surrogate for. If you
>> could spend some time expanding this definition, or referencing it, I'd
>> appreciate it.
>>
>>> The self-aggrandizing
>>> ignorant now has you redefining terms to make "surrogate" synonymous
>>> with "stable" and to make "natural" synonymous with "unstable".
>>
>> Piffle, bob. I have not adopted any of his terminology in my effort to
>> engage him, and you are misrepresenting my understanding of terms.
>>
>> I view a surrogate as a 'substitute' for an unrecordable distinguishing
>> attribute or set of attributes. This is the only logical definition
>> that I am currently happy with. It does not require stability by
>> definition, and I have only ever stated that stability is an attractive
>> quality and hence often appropriate to good design. That's my current
>> standpoint, and so that is what should or should not be criticized.
>>
>> Nevertheless I do not think you understood where Brian's mistakes stem
>> from, and that's what I have been looking for. It appears to be a
>> fundamental difference in what he views _identity_ to be. If the OP
>> does not maintain this basic concept of identity as we do (and as Codd
>> and Liebniz did) then there is little point in debating natural or
>> surrogate keys with him at all. The problem goes far deeper than that.
>>

> This thread started out because I objected to Bodour's statement, "natural
> keys are just familiar surrogates."

All you had to do to prove him wrong was to provide an example of a natural key that is not a familiar surrogate.

> That goes counter to the understanding
> I've held for years, that is supported by both Codd and Date. Codd used the
> term "permanent" to describe surrogates. Date implied permanence also by
> describing a surrogate's value as one that has never been used and will
> never be reused. Therefore, when I think of a surrogate key, I think in
> terms of permanence, not just stability.

Neither Codd nor Date suggested the "permanence" of surrogate values, but the permanence of the surrogate key.

So you are arguing for tuple identifiers rather than a candidate key. Here is an old post that references the quote on the distinction: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.theory/msg/bab7d889d157f137