Re: Surrogate Keys: an Implementation Issue

From: Dan <guntermann_at_verizon.net>
Date: 2 Aug 2006 01:32:27 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> > Brian Selzer wrote:
> >
> >>I used this example to make a valid point. I could have written a 20-page
> >>long dissertation describing one of the many instances where I've
> >>encountered these problems in practice, but I assumed that using a simple
> >>example would illustrate them more effectively.
> >
> > Based on the response, it appears you assumed incorrectly.
>
> His problem goes a lot deeper than his assumption about examples. The
> real root of the problem is his belief that he has a valid point to make.

It is a valid point. I deal with it in real life on a daily basis as well. Moreover, in a theory newsgroup, one only needs one counter-example to prove in the insufficiency of something, and it merely needs to demonstrate the possibility of the condition in the context of the problem.

Codd began extending his work based on this very issue, and he probably had a very good reason for it. Identity is crucial to logical reasoning and there are still open questions and issues that exist.

  • Dan