Re: Database design ideas or templates...

From: J M Davitt <jdavitt_at_aeneas.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 03:04:19 GMT

romantercero_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks! This is what I was looking for.
>
> I was surprised to see all the posts after all these days. I thought
> the thread was dead.
>
> Just to clarify, I've been reading up on the theory (Database Systems a
> practical approach to design, implementation and management) as it has
> been some time since I took the 2 clases on databases in university.
> The problem is, since this is the first
> time I design a database of this magnitude it would help a lot if I saw
> some time
> proven structures or examples on wich I can compare my own approach.
> The book I have has its own example that servers to explain the theroy
> to a certain extent but if I can find an example that better matches my
> situation it would clear up a lot of doubt on weather im doing it right
> or not.
>
> I apreciate the intent but we have selected postgresql for the price
> and performance it seems to give. Oracle and MS have their free
> versions but I suspect they are trying to hook customers and later reel
> them in. Since this is a project that will last about 1 year and will
> serve around 20 to 30 users it will have its own dedicated server so
> ram is the least of my worries.

Problem: good definition.
Postgres: good choice.
One year: good duration.

What's your budget estimate, USD, net of infrastructure and workspace? 100,000? Too low. 500,000? Seems too high. 300,000? In my world, that's probably a good-enough-to-decide budget.

Then, there's all that pesky "client" stuff...

The usual caveats apply: Follow the steps. Skip nothing. Don't add-in extra features simply because you think they won't cost very much. Above all, remember that duration varies superlineraly with effort which   varies exponentially with complexity.

Good luck managing scope! And let us know how it turns out.

Don't be shy about asking advice. You'll get all kinds of responses -- some of them might be helpful!