Re: views of binary operations

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2006 05:08:01 -0700

erk wrote:
> Cimode wrote:
> > Aloha Kakuikanu wrote:

> > > Well, the point is that the term "view" is redundant and SQL-ish.
> > > Relations and relational expressions are the fundamental concepts, and
> > > view is some bastardized idea.
> > I agree. I would go one step further to deal with Marshall's question
> > not use the term *view* at all. As I have said, anything related to
> > SQL is one way or another a source of confusion when dealing with RM
> > issues.

> Views and snapshots aren't unique to SQL. They're fundamental to
> relational.
I understand and agree but views and snapshots are not *always* necessary to understand RM issues. Marshall's question seems to directly point out directly to inter relation assignment rather than views or snapshots.

> A simple rule of thumb might be this: A view is an expression,
> unevaluated, while an assignment necessarily requires a value, thus a
> snapshot. Special syntax is needed to differentiate a view creation
> ("view(r) = A op B" or perhaps "view r = A op B") from a simple
> assignment of a relval to a relvar ("r = A op B").
As stated previously, I am not convinced that r = A op B can not logically lead to view(r) = A op B because it supposes r = view(r) which is a shorcut leading to an absurdity which is that a relation is the same as a view defined on the relation. OTOH view(r) = view(A op B) would be acceptable. Received on Mon Jul 17 2006 - 14:08:01 CEST

Original text of this message