Re: Can relvars be dissymetrically decomposed? (vadim and x insight demanded on that subject)

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Jul 2006 14:10:22 -0700

Aloha Kakuikanu wrote:
> Cimode wrote:
> > Aloha Kakuikanu wrote:
> > >
> > > By "projection" you don't mean RA projection, or do you?
> > What does RA stand for?
>
> RA is relational algebra.
Not just relational algebra but ANY projection from N dimensional coordinate system (ex: vectorial N coordinate system, or multimensionally defined functions) to bidimensional coordinate system (ex: Rtable, plane)

> > I mean relvars projections from multidimensional representation to
> > bidimensional representation as Rtables.
>
> There is nothing 2-dimensional about relations. A relation normally is
> considered to be a set of n-dimensional vectors. A recent post
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.theory/msg/f7bdd36e39086909?hl=en&
> claims that relations are 0-dimensional varieties.
I suspect a harmless communication problem here. Relations are N dimensional, there is no doubt about that. I refered to projections of relations in a specific point in time. The topic here is not about the dimensionality of relations: look at the example provided and feel free to bring insight about the topic ;) I am trying to avoid dispersion on a very complex topic. Received on Sun Jul 16 2006 - 23:10:22 CEST

Original text of this message